A blog about programming topics, mostly JVM, Linux kernel, and x86 related things.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

It's not dead yet

I thought I'd give a status update just in case someone is actually following Jato development and thinks that the project is dead. :-)

Executive summary: It is not but Linux memory management stuff got into way during christmas vacation and I am now studying for a maths exam due to next week, so I haven't been hacking on Jato for a month. I also got way too interested in hardware hacking which is taking up time from hacking on Jato...

As for the hardware stuff, I recently discovered Project VGA which is really interesting as I have been looking for a way to do a custom DVB-C card with remote control receiver for my Myth TV box that only has one available PCI slot. So just to keep me busy, I ordered two new books: Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics and Designing Embedded Hardware. As if I don't have enough books waiting in my backlog already. Oh, well...

I am also now reading Programming in Haskell (Tuomas finished reading it, so I got the copy) and I must say I am impressed with the language. I never really understood why functional languages had "pattern matching" in the first place but once I saw examples such as:

factorial 0 = 1
factorial (n + 1) = (n + 1) * factorial n


I really started appreciating how you can basically separate all the special cases from a function definition making the actual logic more readable. Also, I am really looking forward to the "Functional parsers" chapter which probably will help me understand Parsec better.

No comments: